Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Coach K Could've Killed it in Cultism

A few years ago, I decided to change professions and go into teaching/coaching. I love being able to develop kids ability in sports and of course, win. URA is big on that winner-like mindset. They always run around with their catchphrase "it's GAME TIME!" They often use sports examples like when Mr. Prince told stories at CONference about Rory McIlroy, Brett Favre, and Rafael Nadal (yet, they look down on going to sporting events....ehhh whatever, I digress).

I still think about my time in the URA cult. Maybe more often than I should. Like I said, my upline sponsor Matthew is out of the business. We still haven't talked since my departure. The other day I saw a meme about a "friend you haven't talked to in forever, wants to present you with a financial opportunity" and he came across my mind. Before URA, Matthew and I knew OF each other, but weren't really close. He went to school with my brother and they were just friendly acquaintances. Now to be fair, Matthew was my upline sponsor, but his buddy Mike was the one who ORIGINALLY recruited me and Mike and I had some history together playing softball.

I then began to wonder (as I often had) what made Matthew, who was a relatively quiet guy become so head over heels obsessed with a glorified money pit. I then remembered him telling me about HIS sponsor (our upline platinum) not being a very vibrant personality either. I then remembered how they met. Our upline platinum was Matthew's ASSISTANT COACH in baseball when Matthew played in college. I then started unpacking a lot of stored info.

It occurred to me that several people in our upline/organization were former coaches.

Mr Prince: Girls basketball coach
Upline Emerald: Boys basketball coach
Our upline platinum: College baseball coach
URA Diamond: Aspiring teacher/coach before going into business for himself

And then I got mildly nauseous.

I've been an assistant for a few years to where I now have my own team. I think about the responsibilities that I have to these kids to improve their skills and lead them to a successful season. And I think...if I SUCCEEDED in Amway and went down the path that those other big shots did. HOW could I POSSIBLY look at my players in their faces and consider myself a man of integrity? A man of character? A man who can be TRUSTED???

More importantly, the talents it takes to succeed in the URA, coaches most definitely possess. Mr. Prince had an INCREDIBLE vibe to him. I could see why coaching would be a fit for him. He commands attention, keeps your attention and after hearing him, you're charged up! You're ready to go! You're inspired! And all the while, he's sending you on a goose chase and no matter if you catch the goose or not, you GO BACK three months later and he'll regurgitate the same drivel and you'll be inspired enough to go back out and chase the goose again!

It's honestly disgusting. Yeah, I won't make very much as a coach. And I'll struggle with my bills a little longer. But when this season is over, no matter how well we fared, I can walk away knowing that I did everything I could to make them better ballplayers, better teammates, and most importantly a better human being.

And it won't cost them a red cent.

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta get to practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment